Each year, approximately 800 puppies are welcomed into the world at Guide Dogs for the Blind. These special pups are preparing to enjoy rewarding careers with their future partners. But for puppies to grow up to be confident, trustworthy, and skilled guide dogs, they need to be exposed to a variety of people, environments, and situations — all while getting healthy doses of appropriate play.
At GDB's California campus, that socialization starts at a very young age. In their first weeks of life, the pups are gently introduced to the world by puppy socialization volunteers, who expose the pups to new situations, all in a positive, playful environment.
While our puppies are playing, they’re also getting the right start to becoming guides. Your gift for our kennel can set them up for success!
SOMETHING TO CHEW ON
- $10 provides two new chew toys for one puppy in our kennel: $10/CHEW TOYS - ADD TO CART
- $20 provides two new chew toys for two puppies in the kennel: $20/CHEW TOYS - ADD TO CART
- $30 provides two new chew toys for three puppies in the kennel: $30/CHEW TOYS - ADD TO CART
LET'S GO EXPLORING!
Our socialization program exposes the puppies to new sights, sounds, and situations, and teaches them to overcome their initial fear or surprise when they encounter something new. Our volunteers introduce the puppies to experiences like walking on a leash, wearing collars, and being handled and praised.
- $20 provides nylon collars and leashes for five puppies: $20/COLLARS & LEASHES - ADD TO CART
- $25 provides leather leashes for two puppies: $25/COLLARS & LEASHES - ADD TO CART
BUNDLE OF JOY
- $25 provides a nylon collar, leather leash, and two chew toys for a pup: $25/COLLAR, LEASH, TOYS - ADD TO CART
NEW WORLD, NEW SKILLS
During their first daily outings, puppies in our socialization program encounter all kinds of new things — like stairways, grates, different surfaces, and unusual objects — all so they become flexible and facile learners as well as how to handle different types of terrain.
- $50 provides a skateboard to be used by our puppy socialization volunteers to expose pups to different types of movement: $50/SKATEBOARD - ADD TO CART
- $100 provides a balance disc to help pups stay steady on uneven terrain: $100/BALANCE DISC - ADD TO CART
- $295 provides puppy playground equipment — like stairs, sliding boards, or tunnels — to help pups develop important skills, all while having fun: $295/PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT - ADD TO CART