Between 13 and 15 months of age, puppies return to the GDB campus from the homes of their puppy raisers so that they can begin formal training to become skilled and disciplined guide dogs.
Our instructors are among the best in the world at training guide dog teams through innovative, personalized training. Our dogs are trained with positive reinforcement methods that use high-value rewards of both food and praise.
REWARD GOOD BEHAVIOR
- $10 provides two bags of treats used for training: $10/DOG TREATS - ADD TO CART
- $20 provides four bags of treats used for training: $20/DOG TREATS - ADD TO CART
- $50 provides ten bags of treats used for training: $50/DOG TREATS - ADD TO CART
TEACH A DOG NEW TRICKS
Clicker training uses a clicking sound to tell a dog when he or she does something correctly. The clicker is a tiny device held in the palm of a guide dog handler.
- $30 provides 10 clickers for guide training: $30/CLICKERS - ADD TO CART
TRAIN A HEALTHY GUIDE DOG
All great guide dogs possess an eagerness to please and a willingness to work. Their profession is a natural fit, and your gift helps them lead the way!
- $1,500 provides a treadmill used in the very early stages of training to teach dogs the concept of pulling into a harness: $1,500/TREADMILL - ADD TO CART