Accounts Payable Specialist
Under general supervision of the Controller and Senior Accountant supports all aspects of accounts payable, ensuring that all deadlines are met with the highest degree of accuracy and to perform related work and other duties as assigned.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Prepares all vouchers and approved invoices for payment and verifies coding and accuracy of invoices submitted. Processes all company payments in a timely manner and in accordance with established policies and procedures. Resolve inquiries about open accounts payable items.
- Processes and oversees expense reimbursement and reporting. Includes processing payment for GDB credit cards.
- Interfaces with department managers and supervisors to secure proper payment approvals.
- Maintains account payable files and records. Ensures new vendor information is acquired prior to payment, including Form W-9.
- Prepares annual 1099’s.
- Responds to all vendor and employee inquiries regarding invoices, expenses and check requests; resolves invoice discrepancies.
- Coordinates with Senior Accountant on cash spending to assure funds are available when issuing checks.
- Undertakes other related assignments, such as analyses of accounts, updating written procedures for assigned tasks, maintaining records on approval authorities and interpreting and enforcing policies.
- Assists other special projects, as needed. Assist with the audit of the annual financial statements and tax returns by preparing schedules, locating documents, answering questions and performing other tasks, as requested.
- May direct or assist volunteers working in the Accounting Department.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and principles of accounting as applied to non-profit accounting practices.
- Demonstrated ability to perform non-routine mathematical and accounting operations (i.e. knowing the difference between debits and credits, accrual vs. cash, definition of balance sheet items, and coding invoices).
- Knowledge of federal and state law related to 1099 Independent Contractor reporting.
- Knowledge of automated financial recordkeeping systems.
- Ability to use effective administrative principles and practices, including work organization and planning.
- Ability to work independently with excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrate sound judgment with the ability to make timely and prudent decisions.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, problem-solving, multi-tasking and analytical skills.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL (previously Solomon).
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with those contacted in the course of work.
Work is performed in a normal office setting with moderate noise. Must be able to perform duties such as filing, bending and reaching and handle extensive work at a keyboard or on the telephone.
A minimum of an Associate’s Degree is desirable. An undergraduate degree in a position-related field such as accounting or business administration is preferred. Additional position-related experience will be considered on a year per year basis in lieu of a degree.
Three years of position-related accounting experience. Experience automating accounts payable systems is desirable.
- Full-time non-exempt position.