Kennel Technician I
Kennel Technician I
A Kennel Technician provides care to dogs that are being kenneled at our facilities for reasons other than formal training. Requiring solid teamwork and communication skills, this work entails feeding, bathing and medicating dogs; maintaining a clean kennel environment; assisting with breeding and whelping; providing care to newborn puppies, as well as some data entry and reception duties related to dogs coming into or leaving our kennel facilities.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provide basic care of kenneled dogs and puppies, such as weighing, assisting in whelping and breeding duties; grooming, bathing, and medicating dogs; reporting behavioral changes, as well as walking dogs or transporting them by van to other locations. Observe, record and communicate pertinent information verbally, electronically and in hard copy.
- Prepare and dispense food, including special diets, for up to 65 dogs being kenneled. Keep precise feeding records. Dispense food as requested to dogs or puppies leaving or off campus.
- Uphold stringent cleaning standards in individual kennels and kennel complex facilities. Greet the public, volunteers, and GBD staff; assist with the intake and release of dogs. Maintain precise records of dogs moving within, into, or out of the kennel, following GDB procedures to assure that complete and accurate information regarding care, medications, food, etc. is communicated clearly to all related constituents. Keep precise records relating to medications administered and prescribed, conditions under observation, and care given to the dogs and puppies in the kennel.
- Use the educational opportunities available to develop proficiency in the areas listed on this job description and show ability to move beyond basic knowledge.
- Adheres to our organization's safety policies and procedures and encourages others to do the same. Promptly reports incidents and accidents according to campus procedures.
- Represent GDB at special functions, assist in photo shoots of puppies, and undertake other duties assigned.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- An interest in learning the details of specialized dog care.
- Attention to detail, good observational and recordkeeping skills.
- Able to take direction and to work as part of a team.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Ability to remain on one’s feet, standing, or walking all day on cement.
- Ability to withstand up to 3 hours of repetitive bending, stooping, kneeling, and squatting, scooping and hosing.
- Able to communicate via charting, voice mail and e-mail, do basic data entry, within one month of employment.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to handle some of the kennel department’s specialized and complex care, medical assistance, communication, and reception duties with in 6 months of employment.
- Willingness to work night shifts alongside experienced staff as assigned.
- Full-time, non-exempt position.
- Requires day, night, weekend, and holiday shifts.
Apply now! Can't access our online application for employment? Send us your cover letter and resume via e-mail to email@example.com.