Registered Nurse On-Call
Registered Nurse San Rafael, CA
The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for rendering complete nursing services to students during their stay to prevent or address health issues and to provide for students’ physical well-being. In addition, the RN may be involved in researching, preparing, or presenting material to other staff on health issues pertinent to our workplace or may fulfill other functions related to healthcare.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Provide health care services to students that will prevent, treat or manage their illnesses and maintain their physical well-being while they are in residence. Examples might include:
- Blood glucose level testing, administering insulin or Glucagon as needed when treating hypo or hyperglycemia.
- Check in with students at the end of shift to assure stable blood sugar and provide snacks for possible low blood sugar during the night.
- Check blood pressure.
- Provide prompt nursing assessment and intervention during medical situations.
- Provide first aid on training routes.
- Transport students to and from hospital, doctor’s appointments, etc.
- Coordinate student attendance to AA meetings, etc.
- Treat minor illnesses and injuries and provide rapid assessment to determine if student needs to be transported for further emergency care.
- Provide skin and foot care.
- Call students Physicians to provide ongoing medical updates or manage changes in student health status.
- Provide prompt emergency medications in case of allergic reaction.
- Set up and/or disperse student medication when requested by student, or when there are concerns about student's’ medication self-management.
- Diabetic teaching including the use of new diabetic technology and assist in diet choices individualized to the needs of each student.
- Defibrillator usage and CPR during a cardiac emergency.
- Teach and oversee stretching exercises to prevent shin splints and help avoid muscle strain.
Maintain comprehensive medical records on each student to include illnesses, injuries, treatments given or refused, MD orders, observations, and care given. Assist with computer tracking and input of medical information; participate in other computer projects as needed.
Advise Training, Dorm and other Nursing staff what special dietary needs, physical restrictions or other cautions should be observed, based on review of physical forms, conferences with students’ doctors, and personal interactions with the students.
Physically follow and observe students throughout their daily workouts on and off campus in order to provide timely health care services.
Maintain adequate equipment and medical supplies.
Contribute to the development of departmental or campus-wide policies and procedures, as directed.
Assist in the research, preparation, and presentation to other staff members on health promotion and safety materials pertinent to our work and to our workplace, as requested.
Assist nurse manager with calling physicians in preparation for Admissions Review Committee. Call students prior to class to determine if medical information is current and accurate.
Schedule, oversee, and evaluate yoga and massage therapy interns and therapists.
Adheres to our organization's safety policies and procedures and encourages others to do the same. Promptly reports incidents and accidents according to campus procedures.
Undertake other duties assigned.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
Licensed Registered Nurse (in state).
Minimum of 3 years’ supervisory and administrative experience, budgetary experience helpful.
In-service experience and background in occupational health or school setting desirable.
Excellent communication, oral presentation, and interpersonal skills.
Able to communicate via voice mail and e-mail. Able to perform basic word processing and database tasks within three months of employment.
CPR/AED/first aid certified. Certification to teach CPR/AED/first aid desirable.
During working hours, nurses carry a GDB cell phone.
Must be able to comfortably walk approximately four miles per day to stay with clients in training.
Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
Prior services with disabled populations a plus.
Full-time, non-exempt position working weekends and/or varying shifts.
Please be aware that this job description is subject to change; other functions may be assigned/reassigned at the discretion of management.