Operating under the direction of the Medical Director, this position provides general veterinary care, routine surgeries, and radiography on a relief or on-call basis. Along with other staff veterinarians, this position also provides appropriate medical management oversight, including treatment authorizations, for dogs treated by outside veterinarians.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide professional veterinary care, including surgery, radiography and internal medicine, for dogs brought to the Veterinary Clinic, promoting the highest standards of safety, health, and well-being for the animals. Provide veterinary assistance for the Oregon campus, either by telephone or in person, as needed.
- Confer with outside veterinarians caring for GDB dogs to assure that their recommended treatment is consistent with our protocols and other conditions, and that results are appropriately documented and reported.
- Participate in authorizing outside veterinary care according to our policy and procedures.
- Consult with breeder keepers, puppy raisers, graduates, and adopters of career change dogs, concerning their dogs' veterinary care by phone, e-mail and when appropriate, in person.
- Participate in GDB research projects as assigned, adhering to any mandated protocols, procedures, documentation and reporting requirements.
- Supervise, train and provide guidance to paid and volunteer clinic staff.
- Update veterinary concepts through continuing education.
- Adhere to our organization's safety policies and procedures and encourages others to do the same. Promptly report incidents and accidents according to campus procedures.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Licensed California veterinarian.
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a team environment but also able to work independently.
- Excellent analytical, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- USDA licensed for interstate and international health certificate. Current and renewable Drug Enforcement Agency license, Class II, IN, III, III, IV, V.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Weekend rotations and/or on-call work.
- Able to stand up to four hours at a time.
- Able to be competent in Microsoft Office Suite applications within 3 months of employment.
Apply now! Can't access our online application for employment? Send us your cover letter and resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.