Relief Registered Veterinary Technician - On Call
Relief Registered Veterinary Technician, On-Call
Supervising Veterinary Technician
This position works with the staff veterinarians to ensure the heath and well-being of all dogs and puppies under our care. Practices all aspects of veterinary medicine, for example: anesthesia, radiology, dermatology, oncology, internal medicine, dentistry, emergency and critical care, and rehabilitation. Provides triage, assists veterinarians with preventive care duties, basic and advanced/complex procedures.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Induce and monitor anesthesia, develop anesthetic plans. .
- Establish and maintain IV catheters. Administer IV, IM, and SQ injections. Administer vaccinations, treatments, special diets.
- Properly position, expose, restrain patient being x-rayed.
- Undertake dental procedures (e.g. prophylactic cleaning and polishing, chart dentition, dental extractions, radiography) and educate clients on dental care.
- Assist with surgery and endoscopy; suture closure layer after surgery, assess pain levels.
- Understand pharmacology/pharmacokinetics in order to understand medications and calculate medication/fluid doses properly.
- Maintain surgical, dental, endoscopic, and other technical equipment.
- Perform comprehensive examinations including all body systems; recognize and report abnormal findings and communicate findings to staff veterinarians.
- Perform laboratory sampling (e.g. Venipuncture, cystocentesis, FNA, joint taps, skin scrapings, urine cultures).
- Perform and interpret in-house lab tests (cytology, microbiology, parasitology, hematology, blood chemistry, urinalysis, and necropsy).
- Accurately maintain specialized medical records both in GDB database and for outside veterinarians.
- Admit and discharge patients; counsel constituents in critical and euthanasia cases; consult with outside veterinary specialists; follow up with constituents over phone and in person. Solo vet clinic weekend contact triage calls, approve outside vet expenses, give medical advice to constituents, kennel, and training staff, contact vet on call, when intervention is needed, and give detailed report.
- Adheres to our organization's standards of conduct, ethics and safety policies and procedures and encourages others to do the same. Promptly reports incidents and accidents according to campus procedures.
- Undertake other duties assigned.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Licensed to work as a Registered Veterinary Technician in state; at least 3 years experience desirable. AS in Veterinary Technology or equivalent.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products, including Outlook e-mail, Word, Excel, and Access or other database software.
- Good interpersonal skills and a pleasant manner dealing with the public.
- Provide on-call service during off hours.
- Able to work weekends, occasional nights and holidays.
- Able to work on-call during off hours, approximately 7- 24-hour periods per month.
This is a relief/on-call non-exempt position.
Apply now! Can't access our online application for employment? Send us your cover letter and resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.