The Veterinary Financial Assistance (VFA) Program is in place to support you if you are in need of financial assistance in providing veterinary care for your Guide Dog. Please refer to detail sheets for all the areas below and more to answer questions you may have. You will always be asked to assist with whatever portion of the bill you can.
- Wellness visit: Up to $250 can be applied to one annual veterinary visit with no approval necessary prior to the visit. This cost is to be paid up front by graduates. If requested, GDB will reimburse the cost for this visit.
- For financial assistance with any other veterinary visits or prescriptions, graduates must obtain approval in advance.
- Flea and Heartworm preventatives: GDB will reimburse up to $250 annually toward the combined purchase of these two products. We will pass along information about how to obtain these products within this cost limit. This cost is to be paid up front by graduates. No approval is required prior to purchase.
- The VFA Program includes a list of items for which GDB will not reimburse. Please refer to the non-reimbursement list prior to seeking financial assistance.
- Reimbursements will not be made for bills over 90 days old. Please work with your veterinarian to ensure that bills are submitted to GDB in a timely manner.
- The reimbursement process will require that both the completed GDB reimbursement form and the itemized invoice are mailed together to GDB.
- Tax deductions may be taken for veterinary bills you pay on your own.
The following fact sheets are available to help answer additional questions you may have. All files below are in Word format.
- Approval Through VFA Coordinator
- Wellness Care
- Managing the Wellness Visit
- Annual Wellness Check Veterinary Form
- Flea and Heartworm Preventatives
- General Veterinary Care and Prescriptions
- Emergency Care
- Discussing Costs, Payment Plans, and Discounts With Your Veterinarian
- Non-Reimbursable Veterinary Items
- Process for Requesting Reimbursement
- Veterinary Reimbursement Form
- What if I Can't Pay Up Front?
- Alternative Assistance in Paying Veterinary Bills
- Tax Deductions for Veterinary Care of a Guide Dog
If you have questions, please contact the Alumni Association or Graduate Services by calling 1-800-295-4050.