Are you interested in learning about the guide dog lifestyle? Guide Dogs for the Blind hosts an in-depth guide dog exploration learning opportunity called a Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshop. This free, half-day event gives individuals interested in pursuing the guide dog lifestyle self-assessment tools to determine guide dog readiness.
The Workshop Purpose
Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshops introduce you to the unique benefits and responsibilities of working and living with a guide dog. You will gain information through discussion and hands-on experiences. You will leave with the ability to make an informed decision as to whether or not a guide dog is a viable mobility choice for you.
You will learn:
- The differences between using a long white cane or a guide dog for mobility
- GDB’s requirements for training with a guide dog
- Why strong orientation and mobility skills are vital to being a successful guide dog handler
- What GDB's training process entails
You will experience:
- A simulated walk with a guide dog
- Navigating a route with a real guide dog in harness
Things to Consider
- To get the most out of this workshop you should already have had some instruction in basic orientation and mobility (O&M) skills.
- Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshops are presented in a group setting in an adult learning style. They are recommended for ages 14 and older (excluding youth-specific workshops).
- These events are hosted for individuals and groups of people who are visually impaired and accompanying blindness professionals.
- To close the day, you'll participate in a wrap-up session where you will be invited to share your experiences and offer feedback. This information will help us to continue to improve the workshop in the future.
- Want to attend? Reserve your spot today! Reservations are required to attend.
Workshop Dates, Locations, and Reservations
Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshops are hosted at both of GDB’s campuses (San Rafael, California and Boring, Oregon), and run from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
2019 Workshop Dates and Locations:
- December 5 (California campus)
2020 Workshop Dates and Locations:
- February 5 (Oregon campus)
- May 6 (Oregon campus)
- August 12 (Oregon campus)
- November 4 (Oregon campus)
To enroll or learn more about guide dog lifestyle workshops taking place at GDB’s California campus, contact:
Jane Flower, Youth Outreach Specialist
Phone: 800 295 4050
To enroll or learn more about guide dog lifestyle workshops taking place at GDB’s Oregon campus, contact:
Jake Koch, Community Outreach Specialist
Phone: 800 295 4050
If you have questions about the guide dog lifestyle workshops, please call and we'll be happy to help.