Have you been intrigued by the idea of working with a guide dog for mobility? Do you get around well using a white cane, but wonder if and how a partnership with a guide dog can enhance your life? Maybe you know someone who has a guide dog, but you are not sure if a guide dog is right for you. Have you wondered what the expectations and responsibilities of living with a guide dog might mean for your lifestyle? If so, then this workshop is for you!
If you have questions about the guide dog lifestyle workshops, please call and we'll be happy to help.
Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshops are free, and lunch will be provided.
The Workshop Purpose
Guide Dog Lifestyle Workshops introduce you to the unique benefits and responsibilities of working and living with a guide dog. You will gain information through discussion and hands-on experiences. You will leave with the ability to make an informed decision as to whether or not a guide dog is a viable mobility choice for you.
You will learn:
- The differences between using a long white cane or a guide dog for mobility
- GDB’s requirements for training with a guide dog
- Why strong orientation and mobility skills are vital to being a successful guide dog handler
- What GDB's training process entails
You will experience:
- A simulated walk with a guide dog
- Navigating a route with a real guide dog in harness
To get the most out of this workshop you should already have had some instruction in basic orientation and mobility (O&M) skills.
To close the day, you'll participate in a wrap-up session where you will be invited to share your experiences and offer feedback. This information will help us to continue to improve the workshop in the future.
2019 workshops will take place from 9am to 1:30pm. Dates and locations are as follows:
- February 28 (California campus)
- April 25 (California campus)
- May 16 (Oregon campus)
- June 20 (California campus)
- August 22 (Oregon campus)
- August 24 (California campus - for youth and their families)
- October 5 (California campus - for youth and their families)
- November 7 (Oregon campus)
- December 5 (California campus)
To enroll or learn more, please call 800.295.4050 and ask for Outreach Manager Jane Flower or email: firstname.lastname@example.org