Careers & Canine Connections
Thank you for your interest in Careers & Canine Connections, a collaborative effort between Guide Dogs for the Blind and APH Connect Center.
WHEN: August 9-14, 2024
WHERE: Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon
OPEN TO: Transition-age young adults ages 18-24 who are blind or have low vision
Get ready for a weeklong exhilarating deep dive into career exploration and how a guide dog fits into your future employment. During this innovative week of learning and personal growth, you'll discover a variety of career options you may not have considered, and the value of networking for both work and greater independence. You'll compare mobility possibilities for travel to and from work and while on the job; explore vocational and employment resources and mentorship; and enjoy unique hands-on experiences with dogs. There will be ample time to connect with one another and make new friends, and to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest! The program will be held at the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, which is roughly seven miles from Guide Dogs for the Blind's Oregon campus.
Careers & Canine Connections is FREE and open to participants who meet the following criteria:
- Blind or low vision and between the ages of 18 & 24 at the time Careers and Canine Connections takes place.
- Considering a guide dog for mobility.
- Self-sufficient with daily living skills i.e., dressing, bathing/showering, eating, toileting, etc.
- Be physically capable of fully participating in all aspects of our Careers and Canine Connections program, including an experiential walk with a guide dog, managing a dog for a special overnight experience, and a very busy and active daily schedule
- Have the emotional readiness and maturity required to attend a residential summer camp program.
Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, or the Portland International Airport. If transportation is a financial burden, please inquire about assistance.
Applications are DUE on or before April 1, 2024
Applications received after this date will be put on a waitlist.
We recommend you apply early as summer programs are popular and fill up quickly.
For more information about Careers & Canine Connections, please contact Jane Flower at [email protected] or 800.295.4050.